General Insurance covers insurance of assets including financial assets. General insurance planning protects your savings during contingencies.
Why is General Insurance Needed?
- In few cases, general insurance policies are compulsory by law. For instance, motor insurance plans are compulsory under the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. In many foreign countries, a valid health insurance policy is mandatory while traveling. So having such a policy protects you from violation offenses by fulfilling legal obligations.
- General Insurance provides financial security in case of emergencies. They compensate for the losses you suffer so that your savings are protected.
- Health insurance, a type of general insurance, offers tax deductions under Section 80D. This helps in minimizing the taxable income and in turn reduces tax liabilities.
Types of General Insurance
Health Insurance provides financial security against the expenses incurred during a medical emergency. It is like an investment that can safeguard an individual from paying hefty expenses related to hospitalization charges, medicines, tests, doctor’s consultation, and so on. Health insurance can be claimed cashless as well as on a reimbursement basis.
The insurance purchased for cars, trucks, bikes, and other vehicles is known as vehicle insurance. Vehicle insurance covers property risk (theft or damage to the vehicle) and the liability risk (risk arising due to accidents). According to the Motor Vehicles Act of India, it is mandatory for each owner to insure his vehicle operating in public space.
Types of Motor Insurance
It provides coverage against any damage or injury done to a third-party vehicle caused by an insured vehicle.
This provides protection against any damage or injury caused to both parties involved. Third-party car insurance is comparatively cheaper than Comprehensive car insurance as the latter offers wider coverage.
Fire insurance provides insurance for any damage or loss caused to the policyholder or to his property due to accidental fire, lightning, or explosion.
Burglary insurance provides reimbursement for any damage or loss caused to the policyholder’s property or assets like jewelry or cash, due to burglary or theft.
House/ Asset Insurance
Home Insurance provides financial assistance to any damage caused to your home due to fire, theft, natural calamities like earthquakes, floods, etc.
This insurance covers those areas of risk which are likely to spoil your trip. It ensures a hassle-free travel experience. This kind of policy is popular amongst people traveling for business or vacation, students, and travelers.
Other types of Commercial General Insurance Policies
These are some other commercial general insurance policies you should know about –
- Marine Insurance
- Cyber Risk Insurance
- Directors and Officers Insurance
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Commercial General Liability Insurance
How to Buy a General Insurance Policy?
General Insurance policies can be purchased both online and offline. Buying online is convenient as you do not have to visit branches of insurance companies.
Before purchasing a policy, always compare as there are various policies available in the market with various offers. It is advisable to choose a policy that provides extensive coverage but has low premium costs.
roy’s Finance will work with you to make you understand your risks and needs better in order to choose the correct insurance policy. Book a free personal session with our financial consultants.