It is a government-sponsored pension scheme. It came into existence in 2004 for government employees. However, in 2009, it opened for all sections. This scheme provides retirement solutions to all employees.
NPS is a highly flexible scheme as it permits individuals to choose from a wide range of options and allows control over their investments. Any individual between the age of 18 to 60 years can opt for the NPS scheme.
Features Of The National Pension Scheme (NPS)
These are some of the main features of the National Pension Scheme (NPS) that you should be aware of –
1. Flexibility: A range of investment options is provided under the National Pension Scheme. Investors have the option to choose a Pension Fund Manager. Also, one can switch from one investment option to another and one Fund Manager to another, under certain conditions.
2. Active and Auto Choice: Investors have to choose between two investment choices i.e active choice or auto choice for distribution of their contribution.
3. Permanent Retirement Account Number: Opening an account through the NPS scheme will provide the individual with a Permanent Retirement Account Number or PRAN that will remain with the individual for a lifetime.
4. Voluntary: This particular scheme is for citizens of India only. NPS is mandatory for Central and State Government employees.
Benefits Of National Pension Scheme
These are some of the main benefits of investing in the National Pension Scheme –
1. Long-Term returns: This is a long-term investment plan. The lock-in period is 10 years hence there is the possibility of a higher corpus upon maturity.
2. Online Access: NPS accounts can be assessed online and various features are available online.
3. Tax Benefits: Any individual who is a subscriber of the NPS can avail of tax benefits under Section 80C.
4. Control: Any individual subscribed to NPS has control over his investments which means he can ensure higher returns and calculated risks.
We do recommend NPS to most individuals because it is currently one of the cheapest investment products that you can opt for.